Close Menu
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Front Page Arabia: Arabia’s biggest stories, up front.Front Page Arabia: Arabia’s biggest stories, up front.
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Front Page Arabia: Arabia’s biggest stories, up front.Front Page Arabia: Arabia’s biggest stories, up front.
    Home » Byzantine monastic complex discovered in southern Egypt
    Travel

    Byzantine monastic complex discovered in southern Egypt

    January 7, 2026
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    MENA Newswire, CAIRO: An Egyptian archaeological mission has uncovered the remains of a Byzantine-era monastic residential complex in southern Egypt, authorities said on Tuesday, marking a significant addition to the archaeological record of early Christian life in Upper Egypt. The discovery was made at the site of Al-Qarya bi-Al-Duweir in the Tema district of Sohag Governorate, during ongoing excavations conducted by the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

    Byzantine monastic complex discovered in southern Egypt
    Excavations in Upper Egypt reveal evidence of organised Christian monastic life during the Byzantine era.

    The complex dates to the Byzantine period and is described by officials as a fully integrated monastic settlement. Archaeologists working at the site identified the foundations of several mudbrick buildings arranged in a unified layout, indicating that the structures were part of a single, organised residential community rather than scattered or unrelated constructions. The findings provide material evidence of Christian monastic communities that were established in the region during late antiquity.

    According to details released by the antiquities authorities, the excavated buildings formed a cohesive complex designed to support communal living. The arrangement suggests designated residential and functional spaces that would have accommodated monks’ daily activities within a self-contained environment. The use of mudbrick construction reflects building practices commonly employed in Upper Egypt, adapted to local environmental conditions and available resources.

    The site of Al-Qarya bi-Al-Duweir has been the focus of archaeological work aimed at documenting settlement patterns across different historical periods. The newly uncovered monastic remains add a Christian layer to the area’s archaeological sequence, which has previously included evidence from earlier eras. Officials said the discovery helps broaden understanding of the religious and cultural diversity that characterised Upper Egypt during the Byzantine period.

    Authorities confirm Byzantine-era dating

    Egypt’s Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, Sherif Fathy, said the discovery highlights the breadth of Egypt’s cultural heritage across successive historical eras. He noted that archaeological finds in regions such as Sohag underscore the country’s long history as a centre of religious life and settlement beyond its more widely known ancient sites. He added that documenting such discoveries is an essential part of preserving Egypt’s archaeological legacy.

    Fathy also said that uncovering lesser-known sites contributes to efforts to promote cultural tourism across a wider geographic area. By drawing attention to archaeological locations in Upper Egypt, officials aim to support tourism development that reflects the full scope of Egypt’s historical landscape. The ministry has stated that archaeological research and site documentation remain central to these efforts.

    Supreme Council of Antiquities leads excavation

    Mohamed Ismail Khaled, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, described the discovery as scientifically important for understanding monastic life in Upper Egypt during the Byzantine era. He said the architectural remains provide direct evidence of how monastic communities were organised and how their living spaces were structured. Such information, he added, contributes to a clearer picture of daily life and communal practices within early Christian settlements.

    Khaled noted that continued excavation and study at the site will focus on documenting the buildings and any associated artefacts to establish a detailed record of the complex. Archaeologists are expected to conduct further analysis to determine the specific functions of individual structures within the settlement and to refine the dating of the site. Officials said the results will be published in scientific reports once the research phase is completed, adding to ongoing efforts to document Egypt’s Christian archaeological heritage.

    Related Posts

    Etihad adds nonstop Abu Dhabi Gothenburg winter flights

    August 13, 2026

    Korea Tourism Organization Reports $596.6 Million Surplus in June 2026

    August 10, 2026

    European Schengen Authority authorizes temporary border controls as Spain enforces checks for travelers from Italy

    August 10, 2026

    flydubai expands its Italian route network with increased flights to Milan and Naples, says Dubai authorities

    July 30, 2026

    Emirates Implements Cryptocurrency Payment System for Flight Reservations, Approved by UAE Authorities

    July 29, 2026

    Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi Sets Date for Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Opening on December 11, 2026

    July 29, 2026
    Latest News

    Central Bank of Egypt Maintains Key Interest Rates at 19%-20% in August

    August 21, 2026

    WHO Facilitates Delivery of 70,000 Doses to Fight Ebola in DR Congo

    August 21, 2026

    Japan’s Trade Hits Historic Highs as Imports Surpass Exports, Data Shows

    August 21, 2026

    U.S. Treasury’s Supportive Moves Boost Wall Street amid Drop in Yields and Healthcare Gains

    August 20, 2026

    World Health Organization Indicates Congo Ebola Outbreak May Be Controlled Within Three Months

    August 19, 2026

    BMKG Reports a 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake Off the Coast of Indonesia Near South Nias

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Health Authorities Report Nearly 30,000 Deaths Due to Malaria Amid 26 Million Cases in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    WHO Reports DRC Ebola Outbreak Sets New Record with 2,325 Fatalities

    August 17, 2026
    © 2026 Front Page Arabia | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.